OUR DESIGN PHILOSPHY
We listen to the hopes and desires you have for the spaces in your home, and work with you to provide solutions that are functional and beautiful.
THE DESIGN PROCESS
The more you plan and make decisions prior to beginning the work, the better your construction project will go, saving both time and money. We provide assistance with all of the steps in the process.
Our initial visit to your home is free of charge. We will tour your home, learn about your objectives for the project, and discuss your budget.
Based on what we learn at our initial visit, we prepare an estimate for the amount of time required for us to take you through the preliminary design phase which includes the following:
- A return visit to your home to take measurements and photograph the house.
- Preparation of scale drawings of the existing spaces.
- A meeting at your home to present preliminary plans and elevations showing our suggestions for designs that address your objectives.
Every project is unique, but the cost for the preliminary design phase is generally between $600 (for a bath renovation) to $3,500 (for a two story addition or whole house renovation).
Please feel free to contact us with any questions about the design process and call or e-mail us to set up your free initial visit.
Once the extent of the project is determined in the preliminary design phase, we can estimate the hours required for additional services which may include:
- Designing custom cabinetwork and built-ins.
- Suggesting finishes, fixtures and colors.
- Preparing construction drawings that give critical dimensions and describe the specifics of the job. Construction drawings can be used to obtain costs for the job and to file for the building permit.
- Coordinating with the contractor you have selected or assisting with the selection of a contractor.
- Overseeing the construction.
Generally, total design fees from preliminary design through construction drawings and job oversite run 5% to 10% of the cost of construction.
If the project has elements that require structural design, we will engage the services of a structural engineer and give you a cost estimate for those services.